This course is held Tuesdays during daytime. The focus will be on developing ski specific fitness and improving technique and efficiency on skis. It will also include current practical information and tips on topics like equipment, waxing, clothing, stretching, hydration, nutrition and race strategies to help you plan and ski your best Birkie. A highlight will be two longer ski days incorporated out at Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area (Blackfoot) to help you learn and enjoy the trails and terrain in ‘Birkieland’. The course will conclude with a post-Birkie wrap-up celebration with food and drink provided.
Participants should be of at least average fitness and intermediate ski ability to register for this course. Sessions will not be cancelled due to inclement weather – rather we may move inside for topics such as waxing, nutrition, hydration and race preparation.
- Free admission for Birkie Training Group (BTG) participants to wax clinics (beginner and intermediate) held in January by MEC
- Discounts for BTG participants off Birkie event registration
- $15 off 55 km events
- $10 off 31 km event
- $5 off 13 km event
- Check back next year
Dates and Times:
- 10 sessions on Tuesday afternoons starting November 22nd, 2016
- Nov. 22, 29; Dec. 6,13, 20 2016; Jan. 10, 17, 24, 31; Feb. 7, 2017
- Most scheduled days will be 1:00 – 2:30 p.m. at Gold Bar Park
- Long ski days from noon – 2:30 pm at Blackfoot with dates and locations by mutual arrangement with instructor, based on weather and ski conditions
- Wrap-up celebration Feb. 14, 2017